Woke up today a little later 6:30 AM ready for breakfast and we were then off to Pearl Harbor. We left at 8:45 AM on the shuttle. We arrived at 9:30 and immediatley got in line for USS Arizona Tickets. Surprisingly, we were able to get 2 tickets to visit the memorial. Everything that we had read and heard said that tickets are hard to come by for the Arizona memorial. We were happy to get our tickets. So as we waited for our noon ferry visit, we wandered around the grounds. Jon was a little disappointed because there was construction for a new USS Arizona museum and exhibits so there wasn't a lot to see if you didn't want to spend upwards of $55 a person to see the USS Missouri and aeral musuem.
The USS Arizona memorial was reverent while being eery. As we walked across the memorial structure, we could see the mighty submerged battleship. After having taught students about Pearl Harbor, it was a moment that I couldn't necessary to describe in a classroom. Knowing that you were walking above the watery grave of 1,100 men, you couldn't help but respect the sacrifice that they had made for our country.
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Just got caught up on your blog. I love it....glad I get to enjoy a part of it with you. Your bring back a lot of memories from being in Hawaii....glad you finally made it Jon! :-)
ReplyDeleteYou guys have a GREAT time, you deserve it! Keep the blog posts coming!
Loves that you are blogging about your vacation...it's such a great idea! You can avoid the whole "tell me about your vacation!!!" when you come back. Ha ha. I'm jealous...I would like to be in Hawaii! Hope you guys have a great time! Ranae
ReplyDelete